9 Interior Design Stores | Paddington
9 INTERIOR DESIGN STORES | PADDINGTON, SYDNEY
One of life’s simple pleasures is going for a stroll in a design district, popping into shops and admiring the fitout and wares. I used to love doing this when I lived in Vancouver… strolling South Granville or Gastown… all the more enjoyable when the sun is shining brightly. Recently, I enjoyed a stroll down Oxford Street in Paddington. I used to do this when I visited Sydney before I moved here. However, Bondi Junction mall came along and slowly “stole” all the stores. Gradually though, design shops (and fashion boutiques) have moved into this area, having being shifted out of other areas. It is nice to have them all together, rather than running around, sourcing items for clients and projects. Not to mention being able to admire all the unique shop fronts! Below are some of my favourite design shops and a brief description… click on the bold text to link to their company website for more information.
1. Dunlin: The Dunlin website has a great edit of unique lighting. Their store on Oxford Street has a small range of products. Just check their hours on their site before visiting… I never seem to catch them when they are open.
2. MCM House: You may recognise MCM House from my Waterloo blog post .. click here. This time I was admiring the beautiful photography by Stuart Cantor. If you are looking for large scale Italian beach scenes for your wall, then this is your stop.
3. Jardan: Jardan is relaxed Australian design. Their pieces are designed in house and custom made to order. This means the prices are higher, but you know you have bought a quality, sustainable piece. The Oxford Street store is a stunner, with an amazing terracotta pink staircase that extends through the three stories of this flagship store.
4. Pollon Flowers: What can I say, the exterior of Pollen Flowers is a delight for any creative! Inside is a tiny treasure trove of candles and flowers.
5. In Bed: Another shop that needs to be visited for the fitout, as well as the beautiful selection of reasonably priced linens. The back of the shop has floor to ceiling windows that overlook a tiny backyard and a very large tree… it really is lovely.
6. Domo: The edit at the Paddington store is more contemporary that their selection at the Willoughby store. Domo is the spot where you find that squishy sofa that architects and designers love... the TOGO sofa by Ligne Roset.
7. Totem Road: If you are design-friendly, but budget-conscious, you may find something to suit your style at Totem Road.
8. Adam Robinson Design: To be honest, I think the new location is a design studio only… the Waterloo location used to sell garden wares. I just love the exterior of this converted terrace house. If you need a landscape designer for your next project… check out his Instagram for his beautiful backyards.
9. Great Dane: Home of original Scandinavian and Danish furniture… this is the spot to check out Hans Wegner, Norm Architects, Space Copenhagen, String storage systems and so much more!
Oxford Street, Paddington
All photography © Donna Vercoe (Images shot on combination of Nikon DSLR and iPhone)